img_1678-4-e1480477797992-300x400

This is how we envision our entire We’re working with this MG-811 sensor module, since this seemed to be one of the least expensive CO2 sensors available, and since we were able to find some sample code to go along with it. To figure out how to calibrate it, we’ve referenced documentation here and for a similar sensor module. From our understanding, this sensor works by outputting a voltage, and as the CO2 concentration increases the voltage output decreases. The code that goes along with it sets a voltage equal to 400ppm as a sort of baseline, and then does math to express changing voltage as CO2 concentration.

We experimented with the distance sensors and figured that we will need 3 distance sensors to make our interaction work. We want our plant to acknowledge the user and rotate/turn happily when the user comes near the plant.

img_4937 img_4938 img_4949img_5246

 

We tested with gears and the stepper motor , servo motor.

We realized that Making things move is not very easy! We spent a lot of time figuring out how to mount the motor and how to construct the plant container in order to rotate the plant.

Ben Light guided us and suggested that we could use a rubber stopper on the stepper motor instead of using gears.

Sensor data to node.js

Jasmine’s goal was to save sensor data to a database so the first piece of this was getting the serial lab related to this to work. She successfully got the moisture and microphone data and Co2 sensor into the browser. She also figured to write the code that sends the data to an MongoDB database ( using an MLab account), and serve it as an API. I was simultaneously working on the visualization of the data on p5.js.

This is how reading the sensor values an sending data to the database looks like.

We now have our own API!

final-004

Here are some of the project tests that we carried out. IR distance sensors affecting stepper motor speed and direction, CO2 sensor testing and calibration, and sending moisture and microphone data to the browser using node.js and websockets

Responsive Plant project tests from jfunky on Vimeo.